Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Osborne Winery

On May 31st we went to the Osborne Winery. We started the visit by touring the facilities. We learned how they age their wine and the difference between each wine. Our guide told us that the bottom row of barrels are the oldest wines and each row above it gets younger. He also told us that the barrels will go bad if the entire barrel of wine is ever completely empty. So when they remove wine from the barrels, they replace it with the next generation of wine from the row above. He also told us each barrel lasts 100 years. It was interesting to me that whiskey companies buy Osborne's wine barrels after 100 years of use. After the tour we got to taste the wine. Since the wine was sherry wine, it was not what I was use to. It tasted very bitter but I still enjoyed the trip!

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was really cool how they only took out 200 liters per barrel so that all the wines from all the years can mix together! Then you don't have one bad year of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the wine was a bit too sweet and bitter for my liking. Although the dry sherry wine was more my taste. Overall, this facility was definitely interesting to tour since it had such a unique atmosphere to it. From the smells to the temperature and lighting, it all works to make the perfect balance for the wine.

    ReplyDelete